Friday, April 2, 2010

Raising a Sensitive Soul


I have been thinking a lot lately about my little darling, Ashlynn. She is my sensitive soul. She cries when her friends have to leave. She likes her Disney/Fairy tale characters at a safe, 100 yard distance. She sleeps on the couch to be closer to my bedroom. And she is TERRIFIED of the idea of having ANY kind of holiday character under the same roof as her!

This has been making holiday "merriment" a challenge for me, and quite honestly, I've been getting mighty frustrated. The last Santa picture I have of Ash is from when she was 6 months old. We have told her Santa leaves her gifts in the garage, NOT under the tree, so he isn't anywhere near her bed. More recently, I have explained to her that the Easter bunny is in fact a tiny rabbit, NOT the big dude in the suit at the mall. Whose afraid of a tiny bunny rabbit, right? We shall see....

Lets just say holiday "folk lore" isn't as easy in my house as it is in others. But, upon further reflection, I've decided to take it as a challenge. I certainly don't want to take any of the excitement away from the younger kids, but I am DYING to hang onto that magic for Ashy. And If I have to bend over backwards to do it, so be it :-)

Let's see how this year goes ;-)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thats funny! to be quite honest some easter bunnies totally freak me out.. and the idea of an old man coming in your house (leaving gifts or not) is also a little awkward.

Grandma Mary said...

I know this is an older post, but it sure is sweet. I wonder what this Christmas will bring lol